Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cool Cat

First Date: Brooklyn and Wendall getting acquainted.
So, we've added another pet to the fold. A cat.  A loving, cuddly cat.  Yes, you are remembering correctly.  I am allergic to cats.  But I love cats.  And one morning, shortly after returning home after the hurricane and seeing evidence of mouse trespass during our absence - and fearing recurring visits with the dropping temperatures and the comforts of an old house (built in 1915) - I thought to myself, "I wish I weren't allergic to cats. A cat would take care of any mice in this house." About an hour later, after dropping LPP off at school, there was a cat on our doorstep.  The universe heard and provided.

I'd seen this cat before on the block during my walks with Brooklyn, about three times before the hurricane (it survived the hurricane!).  The cat would follow Brooklyn, which I thought odd at the time, to the point of picking up Brooklyn whenever I saw the cat, convinced that the cat was sick or something.  The night before the hurricane, as I was entering my house after work, I heard the cutest, most pitiful meow, and it was the cat, peeking at me from around the side of my house.  It came up to my door and I was so tempted to bring it in, but I resisted. Ten days later, it took up residence in the house. K named it "Wendall", although after spending some time with the cat, he seems more like a "Scout."  LPP named it "Geronimo" one day, but that lasted only an hour.  He also named it "George" which became "Giorgio", but again, before long, he was calling the cat, "Baby Wendall" (which sounds like "Baby Wendow" coming out of his mouth).  He loves the name.  I'd thought of "Satchel", "Jinx", "Spanx", "Trip" (because he is constantly weaving in and out of our legs as we walk, nearly tripping us), "Plato", "Marble" (he has great markings).  My Mom (or was it my Aunt?) suggested "Kettle."  But in the end, he is still Wendall. And I am on allergy medicine that I used to take in Vegas to live with Brooklyn (which I haven't needed in NY).

I warned LPP that the cat is on a trial period with my allergies.  But I am afraid that Wendall has sequestered a little place in our hearts already. Brooklyn loves this cat, egging it on to play, which of course terrifies me as the cat swats back at Brooklyn.  Claw maintenance will be a must.  He is great company for her.  The vet says the cat is about 9 months old.  I am doing much better with the medicine, some days symptom-free even.  So, keep your fingers crossed that we have found a permanent home for Wendall right here with us.

Brooklyn, not too sure about this arrangement.

Oh, it's okay, Brooklyn.

Fast friends.

Feeding time: eating breakfast, all three of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment