Saturday, October 29, 2011

Yo Gabba Gabba


Well, I figured it was a rite of passage among the toddler set, taking LPP to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live. As soon as I heard they were coming to the city, I went online and secured the tickets and a few weeks ago, K and I took LPP to his very first Yo Gabba Gabba extravaganza. We had very good seats and I was SO EXCITED to share this experience with LPP, seeing as he was such a Yo Gabba Gabba fan. It made me even a bit misty to think about hearing all the songs live that take me back to the time when he was a beginner walker and eater and just starting to say words - oh, time surely flies.

It was a stormy day with clouds and rain, but the prospect of watching LPP see Brobee and Foofa and the rest of the gang in person helped me keep a sunny disposition. K met us at the theater after an appointment and...LPP was fast asleep. As I feared, he fell asleep on the way into the city and I had to carry him with my umbrella and our bags. We were able to squeeze our way to our seats, past the tons of merchandising that LPP missed because he was asleep (thank Heavens), and we took our seats about 20 minutes before show time, just enough time for LPP to finish his nap before possibly being startled awake by the show. He woke up about 5 minutes before show time and because he was still a little sleepy, he basically just watched the show either in my lap or in K's arms, but he didn't dance or sing along. He just watched everything intensely and took in the whole scene. He wouldn't wear his DJ Lance Rock glasses so K happily wore them during the concert. And then once the show was over an hour or so later (much too short for the money), we had a quick dinner before I had to go to work.

As a parent, I am learning the lesson that to have expectations involving your toddler is to also accept that those expectations may not play out exactly as you have imagined and so flexibility is key. I reveled in this picture of LPP rocking out to his favorite YGG tunes, dancing in the aisles with new found YGG groupies his age, K and I singing our hearts out with him. But it just didn't happen that way. He enjoyed himself, but in a quiet, ponderous way. The reality is that LPP isn't really that into YGG anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time, not the way he used to be when YGG was almost all he wanted to watch. I figured I may as well get the concert in before he's lost all interest completely. When asked about the concert, LPP says that he had fun. But then he's off onto something else, the latest "cool" thing in his world. This is a child's way, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment