I was in LPP's room yesterday clearing out old toys to make room for new birthday toys. I was hoping that I could include LPP in this venture, to help instill in him the concept of donating things to people in need - in this case, children who don't have toys. I am not sure how much of this concept he actually processed, initially objecting to the idea. Later, he did mention "toys for the babies" referring to the children in need, so maybe we are on our way. At any rate, I was hurriedly trying to get a pile of his old toys together in one of his empty fabric toy bins, so that it wasn't obvious to him that I was compiling a "give-away" pile, and also so that he wouldn't start remembering some old toy he hadn't played with in months and start adding it back to his "active" toy collection. I was only semi-successful, and before long, old toys were sprawled on the floor quicker than I could put them in my camouflaged give-away pile.
One of these old toys was a simple, purple, wooden block that LPP was over the moon to be reunited with. "Oh, my (video) game!" he shouted as he stretched over the sprawling toys to grab the block from its hiding place behind one of the bins. And then, after a second thought, still holding the purple block in his hand, he changed it to, "My iPod!" Then, without warning, he dropped the block on the floor and informed me, "It doesn't work!" And off he went to investigate other toys. I, on the other hand, wasn't ready to let go of the pretending, I was enjoying this child's play. So I found another block at the bottom of the give-away pile and, so proud of myself, I extended it to LPP, exclaiming, "Look, I found your iPod!"
LPP looked at the red block I was holding out to him and replied:
"That's not an iPod, Mommy. That's a block."
So much for child's play!
No comments:
Post a Comment