Thursday, December 31, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus The Entire World

Yes, I am blogging about Jon & Kate Plus 8, the TV show. I've been meaning to for a while now. With good reason, though. See, Jon & Kate Plus 8 was MY show, I was a dedicated fan of the show, watching every episode during my pregnancy and also throughout my early days as a new Mom. And so, I attach those precious memories with the beaming faces of the Gosselins. And when they became a popular reality phenomenon, I felt imposed upon, like I had to share them with the rest of the world, because they were MY refuge, they were a peek into what lay ahead in the land of parenthood as I sat propped in front of the TV with my baby in utero and then finally in my lap. Yes, the bickering made me uncomfortable, but I'd seen several of my married friends bicker, and who am I to question the chemistry and equations that make some couples work, bickering included. I thought the love was there. Yes, Kate could be overbearing, but having been a victim of ever-shifting hormonal levels during my own pregnancy, I can only imagine what she felt she needed to become to take care of 8 children at once. The children were the ticket for me, those cute little faces, those 8 different personalities, and watching them grow up from episode to episode was really what kept me hooked. And now, the show has ended, strangely right before the baby's 1st birthday, as if both the Gosselins and I have come to the end of a phase. Watching the last episode was bittersweet, reminding me of all the time that has passed this year and a half, the challenges and ultimately the triumphs, and how I experienced it all with this little boy right there hanging with me. And how I wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment