Baby's First Thanksgiving:

We had a very nice, quiet, small intimate affair, just me, the baby, Auntie L and my Mom, who came all the way out on the subway to visit us. Auntie L cooked an awesome spread and the baby absolutely delighted us all, especially my Mom. And then I had to work, and it was just a very nice Thanksgiving Day. The baby's first Thanksgiving.
Haute Cuisine:

We've added a high chair to our apartment furnishings, and the baby loves it. He is no longer interested in baby food, he wants the food off our plates, and he'll grab our plates to bring this point home. So, we've taken to putting everything in small pieces and feeding him from our hands straight to his mouth. He isn't that interested, yet, in placing the pieces in his mouth himself (thank Heavens for me), so when I place food on his high chair tray, it ends up on the floor instead of in his mouth. Good thing my career has made me very familiar with the broom.
Swing Kid:


Auntie L and I took the baby out to the neighborhood playground and I put him in the swing for the first time. He seemed impartial to the whole experience - he was tired and due for a nap, so I think the swing was lulling him to sleep. Plus he was dressed like the kid from "A Christmas Story" and couldn't move (you forget who his Mom is!). He smiled maybe twice, otherwise he just stared blankly as I excitedly pushed him back and forth. One Mom remarked on how serious he was (like moi). At any rate, Auntie L and I were thrilled, even if the baby didn't particularly share our sentiments.
Brooklyn:
Brooklyn has returned home, looking like a little lamb with her short cut. She's on a special diet due to her recurring skin allergies, eating specially prescribed food. However, I can bet that she'll be cheating here and there with the baby's new-found penchant for dropping food from his high chair.
Walking:
The baby is walking quite a bit now - I section off a small area of the living room so that he can practice. He still uses the sides of things to catch himself should he start to fall, but he can go quite a bit completely on his own. He experiments with his center of balance, sometimes even challenging himself with a bounce and a clap in place. Sometimes he pliés and relevés, all without losing his balance, which is pretty impressive. He is quite the guy, and when he falls, he is still all smiles. I am compiling some footage to share soon, as soon as I can locate which box contains my firewire connector!
Talking:
The baby is quite the talker. He still gives his impassioned sermons and it never ceases to impress me - he really knows what he is saying, it is very deliberate, the sounds and the gestures. He is repeating sounds more and more - he pointed to his rubber duck in the tub and made a noise as if to ask what the duck was. When I told him "duck" he repeated "duh". It is so cute. He was imitating the sound of Auntie L chewing gum, which completely cracked us up! He imitated K beat boxing - it was a Father & Son duo! He waves his hand when we say "bye bye". He has added the "ma" syllable to his vocabulary, which is so exciting. I am sure "Mommy" is not too far away now!
Daddy Love:

K has been home for a few days. He leaves again for his last stint on the road before returning home for good. The baby loves his Dad; he even started crying when K left the room last night. The baby loves to hang with his Dad when he is making music. It is just so beautiful to see that the months apart this first year haven't affected in the least the baby's intrinsic bond with his Daddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment