Monday, February 15, 2010

Balloons Make Me Happy

I have a new song to add to my list of TV songs that make up the baby's and my playlist. It's called, "Balloons" sung by The Postmarks and I discovered it on the Nick Jr. TV show, "Yo Gabba Gabba!" The show is pretty out there, which is why I've decided that I like it. It's a mix of retro 60's meets space meets acid trip meets Tokyo meets Deee-Lite. And they have cool guest music artists who perform songs written for the show. I'd never heard of The Postmarks before watching this show, but I love the lead singer's voice, so pillowy, and I love that her name is "Tim" (when I was little, I went through a phase where I was desperate to be called by a boy's name, I thought that was so cool! I wish I had thought of "Stevie", like Stevie Nicks whose birth name is Stephanie).

Speaking of my and the baby's playlist, I've been listening to it recently, and sure enough, as I predicted, it gives me such a pang of nostalgia. It's weird how the challenging periods in life often bring back the strongest sense of nostalgia, at least for me. I listen to the songs and remember my state of panic as a new mom and missing K so much and feeling isolated in the big desert, but I also remember Xing and Auntie L to the rescue, and Auntie D and her spontaneous road trips, and Lola and Lolo, and Auntie E, and driving around in the sun with my baby in the back, either running errands or visiting Xing, and carrot cake cupcakes from Fresh N Easy, and Target runs, and TLC and strolling the baby and sometimes Brooklyn through the complex, and visiting the Family B, and just living and surviving and growing as a result. It's a time that will always mean so much to me in my relationship with my baby, because it was just me and him for so long, and he was such great support and just hung in there with me and my anxiety and worries, and we made it through. The songs make me a little misty. What is fun is that the baby now sings some of the songs, it's as if the songs are making new memories! Anyway, here's "Balloons" - enjoy! The song really does make me happy!

1 comment:

  1. so good to talk to you today. i miss you guys so much. ugh those were such good times. i am so thankful that i had you here with me. now how do i plot to get you back???? hmmmm...Xing & Birdie show?......

    ReplyDelete