Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Central Park

Growing up in New York City, I have many fond memories of Central Park. One memory I cherish is going to the Children's Zoo.  I decided it was time for LPP to experience the Central Park Zoo. The main zoo was quaint, if not quite up to my expectations.  There weren't as many animals as I'd hoped, although I LOVED the penguins, they were magical to me (LPP was completely freaked out by them, and we left the exhibit in a hurry).  The Children's Zoo was unfortunately undergoing major construction.  However, they still had a feeding and petting section open, so we got to feed some goats.  

Watching the goats.

After the zoo visit, we went in search of the carousel I remember riding as a child.  After navigating through what felt like the entire park, we found the carousel - under construction and closed for the season.  We went to a playground instead, and LPP had a blast, running around, playing in sand, chasing a new friend.  And near the end of our visit, delirious with sleepiness, he decided to run up to each parent he could find, get right in their face and, looking up at them with a huge smile, say to them, "Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?" And then he'd laugh hysterically and run away.  Most of the parents laughed, and the others, who seemed politely puzzled, were probably too young to really get the reference.  He learned this phrase from his brother K the night before.  It wasn't lost on me that he was the only Black child in the entire playground at this point.  And that we were in a ritzy area of town.  Life imitating art.  If you could call "Different Strokes" art, that is.  I was equal parts mortified and tickled, it was just all too ridiculous.
 

On the fence.

Our shadows.

Just finished a Sponge Bob Ice Pop.

Fun in the Sandbox.
All in all, a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment