Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our New Pet


Meet Felix, our new goldfish.

Back in early June, my Dad took LPP and me to a local carnival.  It rained during our bus ride out there, but once we arrived, the clouds held back and we were able to enjoy a festive evening at the fair.  LPP and I rode the carousel and a mini roller-coaster and a go-cart and a spinning cup, and we ate corn dogs and snow cones.  Real, old-fashioned fun!

We stopped by a stand with a golf ball toss and if you succeeded in getting one golf ball into a fish bowl, you would win a gold fish! I was so excited, because I had been thinking about getting a goldfish for LPP.  The lady running the stand assured me that even if I didn't get a ball in the bowl, I could still get a fish (I guess they had overstocked).  So, I tossed away and sure enough, my second or third ball landed square in a goldfish bowl.  I was so excited, I officially won a goldfish! (I know, I would have walked away with one anyway, but I really won!).

The lady informed me that I could either take home a goldfish in a small tank, a stuffed animal, or a big fish balloon.  I asked LPP which one he wanted.  He informed me that he didn't want ANYTHING!  He was cranky and tired at this point.  I asked LPP if I should take the goldfish and I looked over at my Dad, who gave me a little nod of consent.  LPP was completely uninterested in the entire fish/golf ball experience. So, I asked for a goldfish, and we carried our new goldfish back home on the bus.  My Dad named it Felix.

Well, I didn't realize how labor intensive having a goldfish can be, particularly at the start.  My brother and I each had a goldfish when we were kids. I named mine Cynthia.  My brother's was named Parker. They didn't last long.  And after researching goldfish care for Felix, I understand why.  Having a goldfish requires so much more than just looking at it swim in a bowl and throwing fish flakes at it, I'd had no idea.  I had to get a tank with a light and a filter and treat the water and the first month is critical because if you don't establish the right atmosphere with the right amount of water acidity/alkalinity and water temperature, your fish could die.  I change the water twice a week with a siphoning bucket, it's the real deal here!  The minute I grabbed Felix from the stand, the pressure was on, and I felt responsible for another creature's life.

I am happy to say that Felix seems to be thriving and I truly enjoy watching him.  And even LPP has taken an increased interest, although it isn't to the degree that I had imagined when I first thought about getting him a goldfish.  And then I realize, I think I wanted the goldfish for myself.

Welcome to the family, Felix!

No comments:

Post a Comment