Here are a few playgrounds that LPP and I really enjoy:
Union Square, NYC (Manhattan):
![]() |
| Climbing up the dome in Union Square. |
![]() |
| On top of the world. |
Highlight: Definitely the metallic dome. Earlier in the summer, LPP couldn't make it up the dome without some assistance. However, now he scurries up there with the best of them and slides down all on his own.
What I Love: I love the mix of the crowd. I think many of the families are en route and don't necessarily live in the area, so you get a great cross section of NY. The playground challenges LPP without being precarious. There is a lot of variety in terms of activities. And lots of running space. It is very easy to get to.
43rd Street near 9th Avenue (Manhattan):
Layout: There are two sections separated by a spread of stadium like stairs and a ramp. The lower section is more appropriate for smaller kids, and features a sprinkler. The upper section has great climbing sets, a spiral slide, swings for big and small kids and a court.
Highlight: The sprinkler is great for the summer. And I love their climbing set. LPP's coordination and skill have really grown this summer climbing in this playground.
What I Love: The vibe is so down-to-earth, being West and Midtown. There seems to be a nice community of parents and kids who frequent the playground. And it is near the theater district, so there are business professionals and performers/artists alike.
Battery Park (Manhattan):
Layout: The space has two separate swing sets, one for bigger kids and one for smaller kids. There are also two or three climbing structures of different heights for different ages and sizes. I seem to remember only one slide with steps alongside it. There are two poles to slide down, fireman style. And there are picnic benches for snacking.
Highlight: The climbing structures are made of colorful blocks of wood, which give it an old-fashioned feel. Unfortunately, the wood is definitely worn down in places. There is also a cool tire swing.
What I Love: The proximity to Battery Park and the ferries make this playground a cool spot to mingle with foreigners and tourists. It doesn't seem to get very crowded, because I think in general, there aren't a whole lot of children passing by regularly. And it is very easy to get to.
More to come...





No comments:
Post a Comment