
A lot has happened in the short time since my last post, notably our relocation back to NY. We spent our last week in Vegas stressfully packing up our beautiful apartment - this involved boxing up our stuff, cleaning the apartment, cleaning the carpets. Aunties E and Xing were a HUGE help when we were down to the wire. When we weren't packing, we were taking a break from reality completely immersed in the Showtime series, Dexter. Our addiction to the series came on rather unexpectedly. K watched one episode, I watched the next with him, and the next thing you know, we finished an entire season On Demand! Once the movers hauled most of our stuff onto their truck, we spent the weekend at the house of our gracious friends, the Family of Force, complete with delicious home-cooked meals by Lola. Ah, I'm gonna miss the menu! Brooklyn got to spend the weekend with her boyfriend, Kiko (and his sister Haukea) and was in complete Heaven, although I could tell that the move was making her a little skittish and insecure. We had some nice walks by the Lakes with all three dogs. An added bonus was the visit from LA by the Best Family for R's birthday, which meant the long-awaited meeting of our boy band babies, MNM, under the same roof! It was amazing to see them interact with each other. It was a sweet, fun-filled weekend, with laughs and good eats and good times. There was the odd losing of keys and fobs by K - it was uncanny how many times K would alternately misplace and relocate them. Unfortunately, the sequence ended with a lost key. We also got to visit our friend and castmate, RP, who is expecting her baby boy in days...actually in a day. And then it got sad when we had to actually leave for the airport in the wee hours of the morning. Xing and I shared a tearful goodbye and Eye drove us to the airport. I am going to miss Xing so much, our friendship has been such a blessing and I am so grateful that we had the time to become so close. I am going to miss the entire Family of Force clan, including Lolo and Lola. And the entire Best Family (my stay with you was easily one of my favorite trips, I always feel like I'm home with you guys), to whom I didn't even get to say goodbye - well it isn't goodbye, now, is it?! And Auntie E, and I didn't get to say goodbye to her either - I fell asleep, but I think subconsciously I just didn't want to say goodbye to anyone, so my body took care of it. At any rate, the weekend provided smile-inducing memories for our last days in Vegas, which is exactly what I wanted.
The plane ride went pretty smoothly. Brooklyn fit under the plane seat perfectly. She seemed a little anxious, wouldn't eat or drink during the ride, but she sat quietly, hopefully even napping. The baby was up for the beginning of the flight and then slept for a huge portion, waking up for the very last hour or so. K and I were exhausted, LOL. As the plane took off, I watched the familiar landscape of The Strip fade away behind the wing and, remembering how the same landscape loomed with mystery and promise as that first plane brought me to Vegas three years ago, I felt misty, K wistfully saying, "Goodbye Vegas" next to me. We even spotted our apartment complex and it felt like I was leaving a whole world behind, a world I hadn't expected to have such an effect on me. Even writing this, my heart pangs a bit, and I hadn't realized how much Vegas has paved its way into my heart. Dare I even say it, I will miss Vegas.
Once we landed, the baby was in such a cheery mood, clapping his little hands and smiling, as if to reassure us that all was, is and will be well. Brooklyn even seemed to be her normal self, still a bit quiet, but definitely more relaxed, sharing a turkey sandwich with K in the cab. The weather is chilly here, definitely Autumn in New York. Our new apartment is really nice, except for one slight detail - there is no gas in the building. This HUGE (not slight) detail was left out when we signed our lease and there is no telling when the gas will be turned on, hopefully early next week, we've been told. Our furniture is not due to arrive until next week, so with that and the gas situation, we haven't been able to settle in yet, staying instead with my in-laws. Brooklyn is staying at my Dad's house, where she is thankfully getting along with his temperamental dog - my Dad already wants to keep her, LOL. She and my Dad's dog, Tsing, are going to church this Sunday to get a traditional pet blessing on St. Francis of Assisi Day. K is leaving to rejoin the tour in a matter of days. Auntie L will reappear on the scene, agreeing to live with me and the baby in NY while K is gone so that she can watch the baby while I work. Working has been really fun, although I still hate leaving the baby behind. But, I can see that a rhythm will soon establish itself and honestly, I am just feeling very blessed.
It's been such a whirlwind lately, and I find myself remembering something from the past 2 weeks or so, but not remembering where the memory took place. And then when I am finally able to place the memory, it feels so far away. Sitting in my arm chair with K and the baby laughing on the sofa in our Vegas apartment seems like a century ago. Walking the dogs by the Lakes near Xing's seems like a memory from a vacation. Relaxing with Xing at her kitchen table, babes in our laps, seems like such a luxury. I woke up yesterday in the middle of the afternoon with the baby in the crook of my arm and I couldn't remember where I was or what time it was or what I had to do. I can't wait to finally get settled in the new place and see what goodies our life back in NY has in store.
Some highlights from our last week in Vegas:










No comments:
Post a Comment