Let disappointments go; something unexpectedly wonderful can happen at any moment.
My son has a very exuberant personality, like his Dad - although you may have to wait until he's comfortable in his surroundings to see it in its full glory, like his Mom. This exuberance is expressed equally for his likes and dislikes. I've watched my son melt down into a screaming aria of tears and howls when I've had to remove something he was obviously enjoying from his hands for whatever reason (it could be dangerous, it could break, it was just in the dog's mouth, etc.). But more often than not, just as quickly as the tears appeared, handing him a safer, sturdier or cleaner alternative that I know he'll enjoy can elicit an immediate smile and whoop of joy in two seconds flat. The initial disappointment falls away, my transgression is immediately forgotten along with whatever it was I took away, and all's well again. If only I could remember that in my own life. Yes, disappointing things happen, but there's always the potential for something great or even better to pop into our lives at any given moment. Now that's a promising thought!
No comments:
Post a Comment