Sunday, May 16, 2010

Only In New York

The baby and I had a mammoth outing a few days ago when I had a few errands to run, unfortunately in midtown during early evening rush hour. And there are a few things I must note about this outing. Firstly, mothers who single-handedly take their babies in strollers on the subway, at any hour, ROCK. We are a strong and determined breed, unshaken by the mass of commuters and the looming flights of steps that come between us and getting whatever it is that needs to be done DONE. I've always admired the women I've seen lugging their children in the strollers up and down the subways steps, and now I've become one of them. And YES, it is a feat that deserves respect and a huge cheering section, especially when people just walk by you and you want to say, "Hey, wake up! How about a hand?!" I'm in my 40s and climbing up and down the subway stairs with the baby in the stroller is no walk in the park. I have traveled with the baby on the subway in his Ergo, which is great because I like having him that close to me in the crowds. However, if I have a lot of walking to do outside, the Ergo starts to pull on my lower back and abdomen, and that's when I wish I had the stroller.

Once I finished my major errand - which included rushing through throngs of tourists to the bank, squeezing myself and the baby and the stroller through a revolving door, taking the baby in one arm and the stroller in my other down the escalator, speeding to the bank teller with only 6 minutes to spare - the baby and I spotted a live Elmo (a person in an Elmo suit). I was so excited for the baby, because he loves Elmo. I crossed the street, and pointed Elmo out to the baby, who kept saying, "Hi Elmo." Not wanting to miss the opportunity for a photo, I strolled the baby up to Elmo and asked Elmo if I could take a picture of him with the baby. He replied, "Sure, one dollar," holding out a ratty, red stocking to supposedly collect the money. ONE DOLLAR?!! Elmo, is nothing sacred? It's for the kids, Elmo! Of course, only in NY would something as innocent as a "chance meeting" with a Sesame Street favorite be turned into a money making venture. I should have guessed it, though. Elmo (and Minnie and Mickey Mouse across the street) in the middle of the Times Square area? Probably a motive there. And one dollar is actually a deal. But it was the principle, my feelings were hurt. Plus, I didn't have any cash on me. And the baby didn't really seem to care one way or the other, he had by then lost interest. So, I politely declined and continued on my way.

We strolled through the madness that is Times Square and met my Mom, her business partner & best friend, and their intern at a studio where they were finishing up auditions. And then we ended up all going to a bar/lounge for dinner where a good friend of my Mom's works. The bouncer took one look at the baby and said, "Are you guys trying to come in here with a baby?" Once my Mom explained that their friend worked there, and they were okayed by the owner who also knew them, it was smooth sailing through the bar doors and up to a private booth. I had to crack up that I had the baby in a bar/lounge. He loved the big TVs and he was fascinated with the straws in my cranberry/pineapple juice. He kept using the straws like spoons to scoop up some juice and put it in his mouth. As the baby is getting older, he is relaxing among people other than me more quickly. He loved the music (although I was afraid it was too loud) and before long, he was clapping to the music with my Mom's best friend. He kept smiling at the intern, and it was a sweet smile, a new smile, that my Mom and I call his "bar" smile. But the highlight of the evening was the fact that he was IN LOVE with my Mom's friend who waited on us. Oh my goodness, he gave her such a laugh and smile, tensing up his entire body and squishing up his face and covering his mouth as he laughed every time she passed by and gave him a wave or a smile. And when she'd leave our table, he'd stretch out his neck and lean his head so as not to lose sight of her as he watched her walk away. It was so FUNNY!! I wish I had videotaped that. I am really enjoying watching and experiencing my son's personality blossom to its full expression. He's so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. i was reading your article and nodding my head .....saying "OMG", true.....me too! LOL I think I called you when I was walking in Times Square.........City MoM's rock and they're ROCKS!!!! It is not for the weak. ;) Proud of you Steph.

    ReplyDelete