After the library, the baby and I did a quick bank run (I always seem to be running to the bank), where he played peekaboo with a totally game 5 year-old boy, it was very cute. Then we hopped back on the subway and paid my Grandma and Aunt a visit. We met them outside, under the trees on a park bench. The baby was ready for some lunch and a nap by now and was a little teary-eyed and long-faced. My Aunt strolled my Grandma in her wheelchair (because it was a bit of trek back to her house) and I strolled the baby right next to her in his stroller, and I wondered if he thought my Grandma was a kid like him in her own stroller. Once we got to my Grandma's house, the baby realized he had been there before, and he relaxed, was all smiles and ready to explore. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time left - in a matter of 30 minutes I managed to let him walk around, feed him, change him and say our goodbyes, and we were off to my physical therapy appointment.
I've never taken the baby with me to physical therapy, although I have seen at least one woman bring her baby with her to her sessions. I figured I could manage a session with the baby at my side. And for the most part, I was right. The physical therapists "oohed" and "ahhed" appropriately. My PT gave the baby a ball, and he was very friendly, even hanging out and smiling with her while I got changed. He watched as my PT massaged my ever-tight leg muscles, and kept throwing the ball on the floor, and laughing, which all the therapists and I got a huge kick out of (even if I had to keep retrieving the ball by hanging over the massage table to grab it). But alas, he'd had his full, he really hung in there, no nap, 3 subway rides, and he just wanted to be held, so he began to whimper and reach for me with the saddest face ever. I picked him up, laid him down next to me and nursed him on the table as my PT continued to work on me. Within 3 minutes, he was snoring peacefully on the table, the sight of which melted all the therapists' hearts. I finished my session without incident, gingerly put my sleeping baby back in his stroller, and we were on our way, into the elevator and down to the street where K was waiting for us with the car. And that was my wonderful day in the sunny city, just me and my son taking the town by storm!




No comments:
Post a Comment