Thursday, December 9, 2010

2 Years Old!

On Friday, March 28, 2008, K and I spent the entire day in Las Vegas preparing for a road trip to L.A. for the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards. Just two days prior, I had a conversation with a dear friend and cast mate who was trying to get pregnant and feared that her cycle was approaching because she was feeling aches. I told her that often, the implantation of an embryo can imitate premenstrual symptoms and not to worry. And then in the back of my head, I remembered that my own cycle was nearing and that I wasn't feeling any symptoms, but I didn't think about it any further. So, on March 28, 2008, after running around Town Square for last minute clothes shopping and eating from California Pizza Kitchen and packing, I was ready to relax and be on the road. And for some reason I was craving a nice cold beer. K and I aren't frequent drinkers at all, but we kept some beer in our fridge for unexpected guests (the beer was left over from my birthday party the year before). I opened up a can and took a sip and then remembered my conversation with my friend and realized that my cycle hadn't arrived. This was curious, but this had happened before, despite my usual regularity. And I was only hours late, really. I had a lone pregnancy test lying around from the previous late cycle and decided, for kicks, I would take the test just so I could be sure that I wasn't pregnant and could finish my cold beer indulgence. I had to walk Brooklyn, so I decided I would take the test before walking her. Somehow, I went into the bathroom and managed to forget to take the test when I used the bathroom. No problem, I'd walk Brooklyn and give it another go when I returned. And I would have another sip of beer, because I just know I'm not pregnant. I walked Brooklyn, I got back home, I slipped into the guest bathroom while K was in the shower in our bathroom and I took the test. I sat there, singing, as I waited for the test to prove that I wasn't pregnant. I took a casual glance in the general direction of the test strip before the 3 minutes were up and lo and behold I could already see clearly that there were 2 lines! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! This was really random. And wonderful. But so random. Then I thought in horror how I had 2 sips of beer and how I had blue cheese in my salad from California Pizza Kitchen. And what would K think of this unplanned event? I left the test in the bathroom, walked slowly into our bathroom where K had just stepped out of the shower. He looked at my face and immediately asked, "Is everything okay?" I've never been good at hiding emotions from K. I said, "Yes, everything's okay." I paused. "I'm pregnant." I said it in a monotone voice. He looked at me and asked, "What do you mean you are pregnant?" I repeated, again in my best monotone, "I'm pregnant." "How do you know?" "I took a test." He smiled and said, "This is a good thing, right?" I said, "Yes." I was still in shock, I just couldn't believe it!! K hugged me and said, "Well, alright! Congratulations!" And then I breathed and relaxed, and my mind started racing with excitement and thoughts about how much our life was about to change and how much I wanted this baby...

And now, my baby is 2 years old. I got misty during his birthday, looking at his beautiful face, this beautiful person we created, who I carried in my womb. I can't imagine life without him - or rather before him, I should say, because I feel like he's always been a part of me somehow. We had a simple birthday - he had breakfast (at 1pm, my little night owl) with K (my other night owl) while I was at physical therapy. When I returned, we lit candles on the (burnt) birthday cake I made and sang "Happy Birthday" and ate cake - we actually ate what I was able to salvage from the additional birthday cupcakes I also burned, so that we didn't have to cut the actual cake yet. Then we dressed him up in a new suit gifted by my Mother-in-law and took him (and Brooklyn) to visit with her. Then we went to my Grandmother's house while K went to work. My Grandmother, my Mother, my Aunt, my Brother, Auntie M and Brooklyn were all there to share in a birthday dinner and a second round of "Happy Birthday" with my birthday cake, which we actually ate this time, with ice cream. We opened presents and watched Auntie M assemble and trim the Christmas Tree. Then K picked us up, and we gave le petit prince our present to him in the car - more wrestling figures. And we all went home.

Happy Birthday my little prince. I love you more than words could ever say.

My homemade birthday cake.

Birthday cake is serious business.

Dancing in his new birthday outfit.

Proud Mommy with her Birthday Boy.

Blowing out the candle with Grandma's help.

The birthday cake (again) - I love his fingers IN the cake!

Mmm...frosting.

Sharing cake with Nana.

Party boy pooped out.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, I am so proud of your journey. You are an amazing Mother & Keith (Father) and Friend. I was teary eyed reading this blog, its a love that I never knew existed and still continues. Although I am only 2 months behind you guys, I appreciate your tales, and lessons. At least I have an indicator let me know that ........everything is going to be beautiful. :) Love you. And Happy 2nd Anniversary to the Middleton's!!!!!

    ReplyDelete