We were greeted by a woman in elf clothing inviting us to enter Santaland. My son seemed game enough; he was so thrilled with his new sneaks and practically leaping with every step while simultaneously looking down to admire his feet. We went up a ramp that led into a train coach car which then exited into the "North Pole". My son did not appreciate the animatronic penguins swaying in the winter scene. It freaked him out, to be exact. And he began to whine in recoil and pull me back towards the exit. And I thought to myself that I didn't want to force him to have this experience if it really freaked him out, he's not even two years old yet, he doesn't really know who Santa is. But at the same time, I wanted to let him know that he didn't have to be afraid either of this new experience, so I decided to coax him into seeing the polar bears on the other side of the display. He loved the polar bears, but overall, he wasn't really into being in this dim, enclosed walkway with weird animatronic winter animals. We kept moving forward, past the cool train set displays, past the photo op station, past the toy displays - which meant leaving the polar bears, which meant a mini melt-down in Santaland, with hopeful Santa visitors backed up behind us waiting to get past us. It was all about the polar bears for my son, he could care less about Santa. Somehow I persisted, encouraging my son to "ooh, look at the bears, look at the toy soldiers" etc., and again, I wondered if I was destroying the whole Santa experience for my son forever. By the time we made it to Santa (surprisingly quickly), we were escorted to a private room where a smallish Santa was seated with two "elves" standing by to capture that special moment on film. Well, le petit prince, as I suspected, was not about to sit on Santa's lap! He wasn't crying or anything, but he wasn't about to let go of my neck anytime soon. So I sat down next to Santa (I should have sat on his lap!) and placed le petit prince on my lap, but he wouldn't turn around to take the picture. So Santa and I decided that we should just probably try next year. I stood up to leave, and Santa asked my son for a high-five, which he was happy to give. I told the "elves" that they should get a picture of my son high-fiving Santa, and they eagerly took two shots. Then we left, photo ticket in hand, to check out the photos. Well, in the end, you could barely see my son, partly because my big head is in the way, partly because he is in profile, and partly because he has taken lately to wearing his brimmed hat way down over his eyes (I know people on the street think I purposely put the hat on him like that, the nerve!). Add to that the price of a whopping $18.99 per photo - I opted OUT of buying a photo. Plus, le petit prince was now crying because he wanted to see the polar bears again.

My son's favorite Santaland denizen: the Polar Bear




oh my gosh B he is getting so big!
ReplyDelete