Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ergo-Naught

Well, the other day, I attempted to take my baby out for a late afternoon stroll before the sun went down. I placed him into the Ergo carrier, and almost immediately he protested with a holler and squirming. I took him out because he was just so upset, and I changed his diaper, which seemed to really be the issue. I put him back in the carrier and managed to make it downstairs and outside without a peep of protest. He was pretty calm, in fact. However, the sun had gone down by the time we made it outside, making it a bit too brisk for a stroll, so we got the mail and headed back upstairs. I felt so accomplished that I just had to take a picture of me and the baby in his Ergo (self-timer, no less!). And that was when the baby started to fuss again, as if to say, "Listen, I cooperated for your "stroll". Don't push it with the photo!"



Tonight, I attempted to take the baby out in the Ergo while I walked Brooklyn, and the baby was just not having it. Huge sobs and lots of pushing away from my chest, as if the touch of the carrier on his back repulsed him. I didn't know what else to do but to try the Baby Bjorn, which he also protested at first, but seemed to prefer after a few bouncy steps walking down the hallway. I am wondering if he doesn't like the straddle position that the Ergo requires; I never hold him that way. With the Bjorn, his legs dangle straight down. I am going to keep trying with the Ergo, since I like the strap around the waist to counter the pull on the shoulders and back. Perhaps he just needs to get used to it - he doesn't cry as much when I put him in his car seat because he is used to it by now. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment