California Dreaming

I only posted about the first day of our spontaneous LA trip and feel like I must finish what I started. We had such a great visit and I am so proud of myself for just going with my impulse and getting on that plane with my baby and exposing him to a new place and new people. It was interesting to see him in the company of a group of folks at once, we are usually not more than 2 (except when visiting with the family Xing). He was very observant, a bit on the quiet side, not shy per se but more just taking everything in. The rest of our visit included a visit to Baby M's pediatrician, a stroll through Beverly Hills, a photo shoot, reconnecting with friends, and delicious eats at cool cafés that reminded me of NY. It was on the last day, when we were all eating at The Alcove, that the baby decided to let loose all that he had observed with a passionate three-minute monologue for the entire table (see photos below), it was so funny. It was the most he had spoken at once the entire trip, and the most I had heard him speak in a long time. I will look back on our trip as one of my favorites because it was just me and my baby going with the flow!



Nose Means NO
My son is learning to really express his dislikes just as fervently as he expresses his joys and it trips me out how he is growing and developing to the point that he has opinions to express, he is this little person. But man oh man, when he doesn't like something, he just lets me know with a cry that feels like it comes deep from his soul, and then he stiffens his entire body and flings his arms with fisted hands down by his sides and lets out a mad grunt of a cry, and I can hear that he is purposely intensifying his wails. I am always taken aback in what I can only describe as amazement. It's actually cute - not so much when he is fifteen, but at almost eight months, it is cute...and a little frightening. I was trying to put saline drops in his nose, followed by cleaning with a bulb syringe, like I used to when he would get stuffy during the early days of teething when he was three-months old; the syringe used to make him smile when the mucous would get sucked out. Well, who knew it was such an offense to a seven-month old! The screams! I was afraid the neighbors were going to come knocking! And sure enough, every time I'd get the tip of that darned syringe within millimeters of his nostril, he'd flinch and grunt and twist his little head away, so it took forever. The more he protested, the more determined I was to get the job done, because I knew there probably wouldn't be a second chance. I almost resorted to what my Father's Mother used to do when her children were babies: suck the mucous out with her mouth!! Not looking forward to cold season!
Baby Ohm

Xing, along with a new friend of hers, and I took a Mommy & Baby yoga class last week, and it was really good. It was at a new place and it was definitely much more purposeful and organized than the two classes I had taken at a different place. The baby was very hungry, however, so we ended up nursing for most of the class, but I still felt accomplished to be there among the other moms and babies. And to top it off, the instructor is pregnant, and still managed to do most of the poses. Namaste! After the class, at Xing's house, the baby and Baby N held hands! So cute!
Off-Road
K is home!!! Hooray!!! And again, just like last time, my body just conked out and I felt so tired all day. I think when he is gone, my body just sucks everything in and I just forge ahead and do what needs to be done. But when he is home, especially that first day, something inside just lets loose and I can relax knowing that I am no longer alone. It's like when school would finally end, I would spend those first few days of summer just sleeping all day, because my body would release all the stress of studying and finals and papers, and I would have the best naps ever.
Crawling Around
The baby made three forward crawls today - he is getting closer to really crawling. It is so fascinating watching how his exploration progresses from day to day - first he started lifting his hands one by one while on his knees. Then he experimented with opposition, lifting one hand and extending the opposite leg back for balance. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!
Lighten Up
I am experimenting with a new background (as well as fonts) - I was feeling like it was time for a lighter background than before. Not sure I've found the right one yet (I am LOVING the flower chain on the right but not completely sold on the retro polka dots), but I'll try it out and keep searching if it doesn't feel exactly right. Don't be surprised if you should see a couple of new looks.
wow you unloaded!! yay for your husband being home. i love the flowwer on the right side too!!!! .........7 months............
ReplyDelete