Sunday, June 13, 2010
Grandma Says...
Okay, I am convinced that grandparents operate on a whole different system of parenting rules! I am sure that it is the passage of time and a more matured perspective that allows them the luxury of laid-back coolness when it comes to what is appropriate for their grandchildren. Key word: grandchildren. Not children. Case in point: Last year around this time, I posted about how my Mother's voice plays constantly in my head when I am deciding certain things pertaining to my son, particularly dressing him for outside. This is still the case, my Mom is in my head for many of my parenting decisions - what would she do, what wouldn't she do, how am I different, etc. Two days ago, the baby and I met up with my Mom at her friend's house in the city. My Mom graciously brought in dinner. As a prelude to dinner, she offered me and her friend each a can of A&R Cream Soda. I said that I would get the baby's sippy cup so I could give him something else to drink, because, "Oh no, he's gonna want some of my soda," to which she replied, "Why can't he have a little?" My immediate reaction was WHO WAS THIS WOMAN who obviously took over my Mother's body and what did she do with my Mother?!?! Completely reverting to my child self, I asked her incredulously, "He can have a sip of my soda?!" She answered, "Why not?" Hello!? This is the same woman who always monitored our sugar intake, went out of her way to ensure that we weren't loading up on all that sugary breakfast nonsense they pass as cereal (Cookie Crisps were for special occasions; non-sweetened Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Wheatina were our usual choices), who reminded us to eat our fruits and vegetables, who still asks if I am taking vitamins. Okay, she'd let us have sweets in moderation, but surely, she wouldn't want her only grandchild to have some soda, this young! I couldn't believe it. All these months of worrying over what my Mother would say if I did this or gave him that, all of it annihilated with a single, "Why can't he have a sip?" So, I gave him a sip - his first taste of carbonation and his first sip from a straw. He did well with the straw, I think the fizz surprised him, his face was so cute and surprised. And then I got his sippy cup, LOL. Grandma can sneak him some soda, Mommy will give him fruit juice or water. And the balance of the world is maintained.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment