Sunday, October 17, 2010

Madonna and Child

Portrait by Kate Hansen, 2010, from the "Madonna and Child Project"

I am THRILLED and HONORED to be included in the portrait series, entitled "Madonna and Child Project", by the talented artist Kate Hansen. Kate is a mother of two and after the birth of her children, she felt inspired to create art, with particular focus on the mothering experience. In her project, she combines women's birth stories with portraits of them and their children. My attention was first drawn to Kate's portrait series by a post on my dear friend's blog, Marvelous Kiddo. Not long after, I saw one of her portraits on another great blog, Blacktating. I was thrilled to read that Kate was looking for more subjects, particularly more African-American mothers to include in her series. I barely finished reading the post before I was already asking my husband to take my picture. I sent in my birth story and photos of me breast feeding over the summer, and voila, the finished portrait! I absolutely love it. To see other portraits in the project and to learn more about the wonderful Kate Hansen, please visit her website!

2 comments:

  1. Wooooo!!!! That is SO COOL!!! I actually saw this painting on Kate's Facebook yesterday and I thought, hey, that looks like Stephanie! How awesome that it IS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!! Wow Birdie I"m so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete