#10 Watch and learn.
My son is an observer. He watches everything. I am constantly amazed by how much my son absorbs, even when I don't realize it. Especially recently, he's been doing things and saying things that I am pretty sure I didn't break down for him and teach him. Like asking for tissue when his nose is stuffy, and then putting it to his nose. Like shortening the words "thank you" to the more hip "thanks". Like calling me and my husband by our first names (he only tried that with me once). Like yelling "Trick or Treat!" as we near Halloween - I didn't teach him this and was even a little sad that I didn't get the chance. Like breakdancing or doing his "taekwando" moves. Even his beatboxing - my husband never sat him down and taught him how to beatbox. Children are sponges and we can learn from their watchfulness. In our society, so much value is placed on "moving and shaking", activity and "go-get-em" rule, and slogans like "Just Do It" become lifestyle mantras; this is the American way. But perhaps if we slowed down, stopped talking, unplugged, and really watched the world around us, we would learn a lot more.
No comments:
Post a Comment