Tuesday, March 10, 2009

3 Months

This past weekend, the baby turned 3 months old! Again, it feels like he was just born (and I guess in the bigger picture, he was). He is such a personality already. He talks up a storm, and with such expression, vocally and facially. His vocalizations have become ever more forceful too, with lots of vigor and volume, and he's been trying out new sounds - he seems to be particularly fond of a climbing high squeal lately. He is using his hands more, securely grasping the hanging toys on his play mat, grabbing my shirt or my fingers while he nurses. He is a happy, smiley baby, which is such a joy. Just one smile or a little giggle with a shrug of his shoulders makes everything else seem obsolete. However, when he gets upset, he can get really upset, with a cry that would bring a statue to tears (gets that from his melodramatic mother, ahem). He is a social baby, loves faces and likes to smile at people - just yesterday at the doctor's office, he was just chatting up the nurses and doctor (gets that from his father, ahem).

On the physical front, my baby has already doubled his weight and has begun teething! I am not looking forward to the discomfort that he will undoubtedly go through - already he is gnawing on his fingers like they're a 3 plate special, and drooling bubbles galore. He also has a case of post-nasal drip and congestion, which is why I am up at 4 in the morning posting this. He's asleep, but I can't sleep because, as usual, I am worried! Being a frequent post-nasal drip sufferer, I just know how uncomfortable it is. But he doesn't seem too preoccupied - it just sounds really horrible, like a whistle of phlegm every time he breathes in and out. I wish he could blow his nose. The doctor said to use nasal saline drops and a cool-mist humidifier (so glad I dropped a bundle buying that warm-mist humidifier I researched - NOT!) which I will pick up tomorrow (or today, I guess would be more accurate). Administering the nasal drops has taken some practice - my first attempt sent saline streaming into every orifice BUT his nose - his eye, his mouth, his ear! And now, because of my ineptitude with the drops, he starts to fidget when he sees the bottle coming towards his little nostrils. Hopefully, this will all clear up very soon. The doctor says the nasal symptoms are due to the teething.

K has returned to the European tour. I was definitely sad again when he left, but I feel less afraid and anxious; being alone with the baby is no longer an unknown, and I feel like I can manage things much better. Brooklyn also returned home when K was back in town, and it was so good to see her (she's gone back to my friend's house). She even looks older. She seemed happy to be home too, and loves the baby, although I could see that she is still adjusting to the shift in attention from us. K was in the studio with the baby on his lap, and Brooklyn just couldn't stand by silently anymore and jumped onto K's lap, right next to the baby. The baby is starting to notice Brooklyn more, and I don't know that he knew quite what to make of this furry creature invading his space with Daddy, but he didn't really appreciate it. I am certain, though, that they will be fast friends, partners-in-crime, sharing toys and food!

1 comment:

  1. OMG i looove this picture!!! look at everyone's face!!!! brooklyn is CRACKING me up! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete