Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nursing Gets The Square

The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous and all I want to do is take the baby and walk outside and relish in the warm temperature and sunny skies. This afternoon, I took the baby to an area not too far from my house, called Town Square - a square (no DUH) with cobblestones and popular stores and a cute little park and outside seating and a movie theater. It opened up right after we moved to our apartment, so it is still relatively new and incredibly quaint. The sidewalks are lined with parking meters and spaces to parallel park - like in NY - which is a daunting thought, seeing as I barely parallel park out here, but I've managed to find available spots pretty quickly and parallel park without too much ado (I could afford to get closer to the curb, though!). I have noticed lots of other mothers strolling their children through the square, and for a minute I even forget that I am in Vegas. The only downside to being in Town Square is that I want to spend money like there's no tomorrow, mostly on dining, and it makes me all the more aware of my unemployed status. And yet, there was a great sale on baby clothes at Old Navy that I couldn't miss, which was cost-effective in the long-run - the baby lucked out. As did I, because what better way to beat the unemployment blues than to buy two summer dresses (they WERE on sale).

My favorite moment of the day at the Square was when after leaving Old Navy, with my tear-streaked baby in one arm and pushing the empty stroller with my other, I found an empty table with chairs shaded by an umbrella, all next to a blooming tree. I sat down, pulled out a receiving blanket, and covered the baby as I discreetly nursed him in full-view of passerbys. There was something very satisfying about nursing him under a tree in the sunshine with a nice breeze blowing, something very natural and grounding and calming, for me and him. He nursed very easily, no fussing, and I was surprisingly at ease and completely ready to defend myself against any possible challengers. But there were none, no one even seemed to notice. I don't think I've ever felt quite as functional as I did, breastfeeding my baby in the Square. It was completely fulfilling to know that I could satisfy his hunger, my body directly. I am very glad that I didn't give up on breastfeeding, even if I do still supplement with formula. That moment alone, nursing in the Square, made all the frustration and insecurity I've experienced pursuing breastfeeding completely worth it.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I hear you. I always thought i'd be way too prudish to nurse ....even discreetly, but now....satisfying my baby is way more important than somebody seeing me discreetly nurse my baby. I did it at the park and it was so relaxing. I even ordered lunch.....that's my favorite, because the dudes do not know where to look! lol You're looking up at them and there looking up.....probably asking God for us to make it quick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that story is so beautiful! Makes me smile. I'm so proud and happy for you, Steph!

    ReplyDelete