Friday, March 20, 2009

Ergo, I Ergo

I am happy about the prospect of finally using the Ergo carrier that my friend so graciously and spontaneously handed over to me from her closet while I was visiting her in London. The baby is right on the cusp of being the recommended weight for proper use without an infant insert, which I didn't realize existed (he's 15 lbs. 4 oz.). I was impressed that on the FAQ page, the manufacturers advised an Ergo owner to NOT buy the infant insert for her 3 month old, 15 lbs baby since he/she would maybe only need it for about a month (NOT BUY? HELLO?!) but instead to let the baby let her know if he/she was ready to be carried without the insert by placing the baby in the carrier with legs to the side and butt in the middle of the carrier, or to have the baby carried with one leg folded under and the other leg out and to the side. This was exactly my question, seeing as my 3 month old is also 15 lbs. I am going to try it tomorrow! In all honesty, driving around with the baby hasn't allowed many opportunities for baby carrying - it is much easier to keep the baby sleeping in the car seat and pop the car seat in the Snap N Go rather than have to take the baby in and out of the car seat every time I park when running errands. But with the gorgeous Spring weather, I hope to be outside leisurely more often, and not just to run errands, so hopefully I will be able to get the baby used to being worn. To date, he initially resists the carriers indiscriminately - my Baby Bjorn, my Ultimate Baby Wrap, and my friend's sling. However, I hear so many good things about the Ergo, so we'll give it a try! The Ergo website (www.ergobabycarrier.com) has great instructional videos and articles regarding Baby Wearing and Attachment Parenting and Bed Sharing, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment