Friday, May 8, 2009

No Doubt

I love No Doubt and I got to watch them on American Idol last night thanks to time zone differences - my friend had just watched the show in Boston, giving me three hours notice, and since I don't normally watch American Idol, I would have completely missed them. I loved that Gwen Stefani was up there in her regular No Doubt garb, 5 months shy of 40 years old, singing "I'm Just A Girl". Her famous abs were covered up in her white tank top and her whole mid-section has thickened a bit, which I loved because it was testament to her new role as "Mom of two". And she looked fabulous, toned and womanly, definitely not "just a girl". It was interesting to see her after having had such success as a solo artist/fashion designer/mother - I was trying to see how it has changed her persona as frontwoman. Her performance had a little more weight, more maturity maybe. She seemed a little out of breath at times, and I don't think her solo performances require as much physical energy as she devoted when she was with No Doubt. I actually saw them in NY with my friend KO years ago - we made the mistake of asking for beer at the concession stand, which was alcohol-free and totally dated us in a crowd of tweeny boppers! But No Doubt is so fun to watch. The band seemed like they were having such a great time being together again last night. They are launching their tour from Vegas next week, I believe, as a jumping ground of inspiration for their next album. Can't wait to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. Ivan bought tickets for us next week. All he kept saying was "please just don't come on the 16th!!!"

    ReplyDelete