Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Matter of Opinion

One of the hardest things thus far about motherhood, in my opinion, is the vast range of opinions you will absorb on a vast range of topics. Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate getting people's opinions about issues, that's not what's difficult. What's difficult is the fact that the opinions will often contradict each other, and the person giving their opinion will do so with such sincere conviction that it is hard to know who knows best. This started in the hospital, with my dilation. I guess the measurements are somewhat subjective and I had one nurse tell me I was 4 or 5 cm dilated, only to have another nurse say "she's hardly a 3!" Breastfeeding - I've had my heart set on breastfeeding since before I was pregnant, but in practice, it has been hard trying to figure out if this is what is best for my baby. Yes, statistics show breastfeeding is best, it even points this out on the formula cartons, so you can feel EXTRA GUILTY for even reaching for formula. But right now I am hitting a phase (?) where my son just isn't satisfied with a breastfeeding session, and he will push away and scream, and I don't know if I am not producing enough (STILL!) and if mixing breast milk and formula is messing up his system, but I can't seem to get through a day without having to quell his hunger with some formula. So, is formula perhaps the best thing for him, should I just commit to one, commit to formula and be done with the tantrums or commit to breast milk and push through the fussing and the squirming and crying for at least another 4 months? And the opinions about this vary - my Mother, who formula-fed me and my brother, is convinced that formula is the way to go. However, I don't know many people of my generation who have formula-fed their children and so I end up feeling guilty for even considering it. I was advised during my prenatal classes not to even introduce formula at all for the first 6 months and I knew this. But then a nurse in the hospital convinced me that my baby was starving because he hadn't eaten anything and wouldn't latch on, and so the guilt set in and I gave him formula, and now this dilemma. Lactation advocates were horrified that my son had gained so much weight in his first week of life (due to formula) whereas the pediatricians were practically giving me high-fives. Who is right? Sleeping - I read it is good to sway your child to sleep and then I read not to because that is not how they are going to fall asleep when they are on their own. Crying - family and friends have said to let the baby cry, it's good for the lungs and it will allow me to get things done; books are now saying that you shouldn't let your baby cry, at least not at this age, they need to know that you will be there to fulfill their needs. Whose opinion is the right opinon? I guess the answer is to sort through them all and go with what feels right for me, right? What's your opinion (wink)?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe there is only one "right" way when it comes to babies. You just have to go with your motherly instincts and do what you feel is right for you and your baby. Remember our friend who ended up getting an infection and needing an IV while she tried to breastfeed her first child. No matter what you decide, I am 100% sure that your boy will be fine.

    ReplyDelete